A descendant from a Swiss surgeon who served in Ireland under William III, Henry Kirchhoffer was the second son of Francis Kirchhoffer, a cabinet maker in Henry Street, Dublin. He entered the Dublin Society’s Schools in 1798 and resided in Cork for many years practising as a miniature painter. He contributed a watercolour portrait of Charles Robertson, the miniature painter, to the Dublin Society’s watercolour exhibition in 1823 which now hangs in the NGI. He was one of the original associates of the RHA and was elected a member in 1826. He exhibited works from 1826 to 1834, mainly landscapes and portraits in watercolour and also miniature and figure subject. In 1835, he resigned his membership and settled in London where he exhibited in the RA and elsewhere from 1837 to 1843. He died in London in 1860 aged 79.